Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Internship: Day 1

Ok so apparently I am TERRIBLE at remembering to blog...I am going to try to do better...  Anyway,  I started my new internship at Salt Lake International Airport today!  I am doing a 5-6 week long internship in Airport Operations.  What does that mean you ask?  Every Tuesday and Thursday for the next coming weeks I will be put into different areas of the airport to learn more and explore the options available for an Airport Management career.  I will be working in: Access Control Operations, Airport Control Center, Landside Operations, Airport Rescue Firefighting (ARFF), Airport Police, Airport Shuttle Operations, Emergency Program Management, General Aviation Management, and Human Resources. 
There are 3 interns, Jordan, Braden, and myself.  As we were given a "taste" of what we will be learning and doing in the next month, it was overwhelming how much there is to learn and I was left wondering how we will possibly be able to pack it all in in such a short amount of time!
We started out meeting in Dave's office, he is in a sense, our "boss", and we will report directly to him each day we meet.  We were given our parking passes, and then we went for a walk to learn where the employee lot was, and how to make it back to the terminal (there are a lot of what I would call secret doors and secret passages).  From there, we met Brian, and he was a supervisor for landside and terminal operations.  We sat in the first booth and watched as all of the traffic flowed into the airport, pick-ups, drop-offs, taxi's, busses, the works.  We also watched as a car was about to get towed and boy was that guy mad!  We went into the International terminal and saw where they do customs, we responded to an "emergency" call...there was a dog bite incident and when we arrived on the scene, there was no dog in sight, that was kind of disappointing haha.
After Brian and Jeremey finished showing us around, they sent us off to lunch! It was nice to be able to sit down for awhile and get something to drink.  Then we were off again, Dave had more meetings to attend to so he sent us off with another guy (we met SOOO many new people, I'm having a hard time remembering all of their names) and this other guy arranged for us to ride around the airport with the Landside/Grounds Manager (? I'm unsure of his exact title), anyway, he is the guy that drives around the airport and makes sure the fences and everything is secure.  His vehicle is basically his office.  We went to a couple of the firehouses (there are 3) and in the second one, the guy asked if we wanted to take the truck out for a spin....our response... "Ummm, YEAH!" that should have been a no-brainer.
Above is a picture of me all buckled in in the firetruck, the thing is massive my friends, hopefully I will get another chance to take some pictures of it.  We went for a short drive and he fired the water out the front and it was pretty darn fantastic, probably one of my favorite parts of the day :)
Fact: This can shoot water like 80 feet! And, you can completely empty the water tank in 3 minutes when you fire it at the highest pressure.  These trucks aren't actually made to put fires out, just to secure the exits to the planes if they happen to be on fire, so that the passengers have some time to get out.
We visited the Wildlife Conservation place, basically the place where they are constantly working on new traps to catch the large amount of birds that are at the airport. 
Fact: they use gerbils, mice and pigeons as bait.  We said goodbye to a nice little pigeon that was about to be released as bait...
One of the last places we visited was the SkyWest maintenance hangar where we saw a lot of cool stuff, and a lot of really expensive engines.  There was a room full of them that were ready to go if needed, probably like 8 of them, checking in at about $3 million each.
We seriously never stopped moving.  Everything was so fast paced and constantly changing and it's hard to remember everything that we did.  I am so excited and happy for each day I get to spend up there, learning new things and living part of my dream.  Like I've said before, as long as I get to go to an airport every day, I will be happy :)
*peace out girl scout*

No comments:

Post a Comment