Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Internship: Day 8

Today was spent in the control room.  This is where all the cameras in the whole entire airport are monitored.  It's the place where  accidents, spills, and emergencies are reported and called in, and then the people who work in the control room dispatch the maitenance, janitorial, police, paramedics, etc. to respond to the area where they are needed.  It was such a busy and fun experience, there are always interesting and weird things happening.  I was given a headset and I listened in on most of the calls, and I got to see how they responded and what special codes where given for specific incidents.  As I sat there and listened, we also were looking at about 7 computer screens, each with something different and important on them.  Part of the day was pretty slow so they turned on the Olympics and we watched that in the background while we sat and waited for calls. 
Working in the control room is considered one of the entry level jobs.  I think that I would really enjoy getting a job like that to start off at the airport.  Everyone I talked to said it was super helpful to start out there because you learned all about the airport and you become familiar with all the different places and spaces. 
FOD competition poster
I forgot to post this little gem from Thursday when I found it...
This picture seriously makes me laugh everytime I see it.

*peace out girl scout*

No comments:

Post a Comment