Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Internship: Day 3 "The Eagle has Landed"

Today has been by far the most fascinating day.  I really just want to start by telling about the end of my day but I guess I will start at the very beginning...it's a very good place to start, or so they tell me.
We started out the day out in Airfield Operations.  Basically we just drove around inspecting the fences and picking up FOD (foreign object debris) with our tour guide of the day, Darwin.  One of the other Operations managers, Dave called up saying he needed some help putting up some signs up for the SIDA (Secure Identification Display Area) doors at the SkyWest hangar.  When he arrived he asked for me to help him out, I was a little excited, I got to go on a special assignment.  Ok not really, I was picked because I was the only one who had fingernails that were able to pull the plastic covering off of the giant stickers.  So I went with Dave and he asked if I had another job I was doing on top of this internship so I told him I work at a fabric store, and from then on, our little sticker outing was known as “Arts & Crafts time”.  I didn’t mind being used for my lovely fingernails, it was actually a good experience and I at least got to walk around (even though it was well over 100 degrees outside) instead of riding around in the car some more.  Dave and I went back inside to cool down and get a drink and I met a few more people while we were inside.  Dave even said “We need to get this girl a job here” (referring to me of course), so maybe there is hope?
Dave handed me off to Troy to take me back to the rest of the group and we got there just in time to do the daily runway inspection.  They close the runways one at a time for a few minutes so that the fleet of 3-4 vehicles can drive down the length of it to check for FOD or cracks or other damage that may have occurred.  It was pretty cool driving down the middle of a runway at about 50 mph.  No worries, we didn’t find anything, so we continued to the other side of the airport so that we could go to lunch.  As we were driving back I spotted some plastic tarp thing that could potentially cause some problems so I asked Darwin to stop and I would go get it.  I got out of the car and told him not to leave me and as I walked out and bent down to pick up the garbage, he drove off….only a little bit.  I figured, if they leave me out there, I won’t be stuck out there for long.  Surely someone will spot a random stranger walking around out at the end of the runway…that doesn’t look suspicious at all…  Darwin stopped and I walked back to the car and he was mostly surprised that I hadn’t flinched one bit when he drove off.
Lunch was uneventful.  We usually sit down in the terminal so that we can do some people watching while we eat, that is always a little bit entertaining.  Our “boss”, the other Dave walked by us and informed us that there is an actual break room that we could use.  Who knew? Haha he will be showing us where that is next time.
After lunch we called Darwin and he drove around to pick us up.  So earlier in the day we were informed that the Vice President would be flying in and that if we wanted to, we could help and observe.  Of course we wanted to.  The time between lunch and when we were switched over to the other Dave, the new shift manager for the evening’s events is a blur, other than we drove really close to the back of some planes and I got some cool pictures, that is what I remember.
So the time that the VP was to arrive was delayed an hour, then 2 hours, then back 30 minutes and it just kept going back and forth.  So we didn’t really know when to expect him but we decided to ride around the airport anyway to look for suspicious behavior in the area he was supposed to be in.  Dave told us when we first got in the car that when he finally did arrive that we shouldn’t make any sudden movements or get out of the vehicle and if there were lasers pointing at us that we were probably goners, that’s a happy thought.  Oh did I mention that by this point we had picked up the head Secret Service Agent and one of the head police officers and we were driving around the airport with them.  SO FREAKING COOL!!  The Secret Agent even had that cool little earpiece thing with the curly cord going down his neck into his dark suit coat and he had the little microphone hidden in his sleeve that he kept talking into, like this…
Courtesy of the wonderful Google
And the Police Officer was a big guy…and very attractive… I thought about snapping a picture of them from the very back seat of the Ford Explorer but I voted against that because I didn’t know if that would get me killed or worse, kicked out of the car.  The whole experience was very surreal.  I felt like I was in a movie with the VPresident arriving and the secret agents scattered around, and the police, highway patrol, bomb squad, and members of SWAT everywhere.  I’ll say it again, it was FREAKING COOL!
We took a secret agent to the control tower so that he could observe from there.  We drove around and found some “suspicious looking vehicles” parked in random places.  You wouldn’t believe how quickly they left the premises once they were approached by the Secret Agent and the Police Officer.  Oh and funny little fact, when the Secret Agent goes to ask people to leave, he will only say, “We have a visitor coming and we need you to move” or something like that, but I find it funny that they don’t ever say exactly who is coming, just a visitor…not like he is the Vice President of the freaking United States or anything, no big deal.  We only have 50+ people here to protect him and we have a sniper on the roof but no big deal.
We waited and waited and took a break in TacAir where all the security people were waiting, I tried to snap a picture so that you could get an idea of exactly how many people with guns there were but it was a little frightening and intimidating and I didn’t want to get caught so please excuse the terrible picture.
Right before he arrived we had to inspect the runway and after we inspected it, nobody else could land or takeoff from it until he had landed.  So we drove down the runway like we did earlier that day and everything looked good to go.  I forgot to mention that by this time, I was the only intern left.  The other two had to leave and I just couldn’t keep myself away from this, I mean come on, how many times does something like this actually happen? I’ll answer that for you, it doesn’t happen often at all, and I was not going to miss it. 
Air Force 2 Landing
Deplaning
We inspected the runway and then we were forced to go back inside the building away from all of the excitement.  There were no regular civilians allowed outside in the area.  I said to Dave, “I knew I should have worn my Secret Agent suit today” It kind of sucked from inside, but I watched as Air Force 2 came in and touched down on the runway, it was beautiful.  We were supposed to stay inside until the motorcade left but we couldn’t actually see the motorcade which consisted of probably 10 vehicles.  Black Limos, Escalades, red Dodge Charger, Ambulance, Bomb Squad, and Police Cars, all sleek and shiny and newly inspected by the bomb dogs :)  So we got to sneak outside, with permission from the Chief Police Officer.  I’m sure at some point I saw Biden from a far, but we were too far away to see which one was actually him.  When the motorcade left, we drove a bit closer and I snapped a couple pictures of that big, beautiful plane.
What a fascinating, long day.  I got there at 8:30 AM and I didn’t leave until after 7 PM that evening.  That is a dedicated, unpaid intern my friends. This is one exhausted and hungry girl.  I bought a pedometer for the job because I was curious as to how much walking I do on the days I go up there.  The end count for my day at the airport is 4 miles.  Now I’m going to go put my blistered feet up and relax.
*peace out girl scout*

No comments:

Post a Comment