Saturday, November 24, 2012

Thanksgiving

This Thanksgiving was a little different than normal.  Its been just over a month since my grandmother passed away and there hasn't been a day that has gone by that I haven't thought about her.  I wondered how this holiday would be without her around and it was actually just lovely and relaxing.
My grandpa drove up to my Aunt Julie's house and we went over to my Uncle Matts', sister Liz's house.  There were 11 people, 5 giant dogs (Sue, these dogs are only slightly smaller than yours, now imagine the madness of having 5!), and 1 cat.
The dinner was absolutely delicious!  We had 2 turkeys, one smoked, and the other roasted.  The stuffing was wonderful, we had yummy brussel sprouts, garlic mashed potatoes, and gravy.  We had THE BEST sweet potatoes I've ever had, and the best maple cranberry sauce.  We started out with a yummy curry and apple soup (I know there was something else in it but I can't remember, but it was good).  It was such a relaxing day and we didn't even have to bring anything, we just showed up.  We had so many pies to choose from, including a sour cream pie, which I tried, and it was wonderful, my grandpa said it was similar to a mincemeat pie (not that I would know since that name doesn't sound pleasant).
After dinner, there was some dancing in the living room...and then we all went outside onto the very large, covered patio where they started a fire in the fire pit and we sat by the warmth while the rain came down.  It was a super chilly night but there is something so comforting about being next to a fire.  It was a fabulous Thanksgiving filled with wonderful people.
The next day my grandpa took me to a U of M Women's Basketball game.  He has season tickets so we thought it would be fun to go.  We saw some of my grandmother's friends there and visited with them for a brief moment.  U of M were playing against Harvard and they were both pretty good teams, but in the end, we won! 72-61
The whole time we were there, I could not stop thinking about my grandma.  She was a True Blue fan through and through and went to as many sporting events as she could.  When they sang the fight song I got a little teary eyed, I will always remember her singing the fight song and pumping her fist up into the air, cheering the teams on :)
*peace out girl scout*

No comments:

Post a Comment